Monday, December 29, 2008

Mix it up Monday

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and that Santa did not forget to stop at your house. I assure you, he didn't forget ours. I had thought about skipping Mix it Up Monday this week because, honestly, who needs more baked goods after Christmas? I don't, that is for certain. The problem though is, I have this living in my house now:

I was calling to me to bake something tonight. So, I made these which I was able to lighten up a little. I used 1 3/4 cups of 50/50 whole wheat and white flour and 1/4 cup of flax seed. I also used skim milk. I used real butter because I had it left over from the Christmas baking, but you could certainly use a light butter. I used walnuts and the whole bag of mini chocolate chips, but you could leave out the nuts and cut back on the chips. I got 12 regular muffins and 14 mini muffins. These are a quick and yummy muffin, but maybe not the best for my first KitchenAid project. The recipe wanted you to mix the wet and dry ingredients separately and then combine, but I only have one bowl for the mixer, so I just dumped it all in together. Oh, well, they turned out fine and really it was more about using the mixer and less about the product.

You will be happy to hear that I am resolving to bake at least one "lighter" or "low calorie" item each month this year. So get ready with your plain yogurt and unsweetened applesauce. What are you resolving to do in 2009? Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Mandee - I Think You Should said...

I am obviously way behind here, but am so excited you got a Kitchenaid! Mainly so I can quit feeling guilty about having one when you don't! :)