Friday, July 11, 2008

Why I will never be paid to blog...

or My Life in Retrospect. So I just sort of dropped all the stories about our vacation. I know all those things happened well over a week ago and are old news now, but here is the recap to get everyone caught up.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

We visited the Statue of Liberty. We traveled 4 hours to get there. No, weren't coming from Pennsylvania, just the aptly named Long Island. We took 4 different modes of transportation. Car, Train, Subway and Ferry. It was well worth it, but gave new meaning to the tired, poor, huddled masses. Hollis's favorite part of the day had to be the ferry ride over. Somehow we managed to get a booth beside an open window. He leaned out just as far as we would let him and got sprayed with water several times. He also declared, "Wook, it's the Statue of Wiberty". You would be surprised how many Statue of Wiberties there are if you are looking for them, even one at a Red Robin in Pennsylvania. And hey, people of New York, I know you are tired and cranky and ready to go home, but you are even more tired and cranky if you are a three year old who has been dragged around all day, so get up and let me have your set on the train.

Then we went to Montauk. Which is at the opposite end of Long Island. It didn't take quite as long to get there, only and hour and a half. We stopped for lunch at Lobster Roll, mostly because it had a big sign that said "Lunch" and that is what we were looking for. Apparently, it has had some local fame and been frequented by celebrities vacationing in the Hamptons. It was yummy and I got have my cupcake that I wasn't able to get during our 4 hour trek to the Statue of Liberty. We visited the Montauk Point Lighthouse and then went to a public beach. This was not your standard Gulf Coast public beach, though. After parking the car and setting out with our shovels, pails, dumptruck and towels, we walked and walked and walked and then walked a lot more before finally reaching the water. Apparently, this was more of a camping beach. Who knew? As we walked a man even stopped, in his truck, to ask up if we were okay. I guess we were not an everyday sight. We played in the sand, picked up rocks and put our feet in the 14 degree water before making the journey back to the car. Then we paid too much for souvenir t-shirts.

The next morning we headed back to my parents house. Hollis talked for about 10 of the 12 hours we drove. And then my head exploded. The End.

1 comment:

Mandee - I Think You Should said...

Just back from the beach and catching up. Will saw a Statue of Liberty on a commercial last week and pointed it out. Get ready for that trend to continue. He also still talks about a one legged bird we saw on the ferry.

Hollis is adorable--so glad you guys had a fun trip.