Monday, July 07, 2008

Mix it up Monday: A Tale of Two Desserts

I am thinking of renaming this series Mix it up Sometime during the first of the Week, but maybe not until Thursday depending on how Things Go. The PRESSURE! Today has been one of those days when I was home all day and yet managed to get nothing done. I did bake this weekend though, so let's talk about that.
I had originally planned a Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake for Fourth of July. There is a great little produce stand (if your local, Johnson Ferry & Mount Vernon near Roswell Road) near Gymboree, so Hollis and I headed over there Wednesday after class. Hollis loves going and touching all the produce so if you do purchase something there, I would be sure to wash it. We picked some nice strawberries and brought them home. On Saturday, I bought the rest of the ingredients and got ready to start baking. The strawberries were rotten. Ugh. So I picked a new recipe, Sour Cream Hazelnut Bundt Cake. I love hazelnuts. So, on Sunday, during my regular grocery trip, I bought ingredients for the second dessert. Easy, right? Well, Kroger doesn't regularly carry hazelnuts. Ugh. I finally found, with the help of the nice Customer Service Boy, a can of mixed nuts that contained hazelnuts. No problem, I thought, I will just pick out the hazelnuts and skip the salt since they are already salted. Well, after dumping out the whole container and pulling one hazelnut out of Hollis's mouth, I ended up with 6. Six hazelnuts do not a 1/4 cup make. Needless to say, the cake does not have a strong hazelnut taste. So I added a little extra Nutella, because you can't go wrong with Nutella. I also used low fat instead of fat free sour cream. Through all this trauma, it turned out really well. The cake has a nice light texture and came together easily and quickly, even with an assistant. He is too busy with his own concoction to be bothered with pictures. Try this one with the right amount of hazelnuts and let me know how you like it.

No comments: