Saturday, November 01, 2008

Trick or Treat

We made it through Hollis's first trick or treat experience. We hit two subdivisions on our street and I think we were the first ones out at 5:30pm. He managed to hoof it the whole way after giving me his hat, fire fighter axe and bag of candy. I had prepped him on the correct Halloween lingo and he managed to use it, mostly. I had to refrain from teaching him the "smell my feet" version. Now you will be reciting that all day, your welcome.
The most interesting part of the evening came when Hollis spilled some candy leaving one of the houses. As we stopped to pick it up he exclaimed, "damn it". And I thought, "damn it, someone has taught my child how to curse". Now normally I would blame this on John, but honestly, I don't think he has heard it at our house. I did ask him what he said, just to clarify that we was cursing and using it correctly. He said it again and when pressed admitted to learning it at school. Some heathen child is already corrupting my innocent baby. We may have to start homeschooling. No, wait, that would probably lead to more cursing.
Later we crashed a neighborhood block party. Fortunately, everyone was friendly and didn't seem to mind a three foot tall fire fighter touching their cupcakes. After sharing in their candy and snacks, we hightailed it out of there. With a heavy bag and tired feet, we headed home for pizza and the Great Candy Dump of 2008. Because really, what better why to celebrate the devil's holiday than with pepperoni, cheese and candy? After a few minutes of bouncing off the walls, everyone settled down to sweet dreams of candy, pumpkins and fire fighters. Happy Halloween!

**
I have, perhaps foolishly, signed up to participate in NaBloPoMo, which is National Blog Posting Month. The point of which is to post to your blog every day for the month of November. Seems like a stretch, don't you think? Get ready for some boring shit...oh, wait, I meant stuff, we are trying to teach Hollis not curse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an eventful evening. Good luck with posting, I'll be checking in.