Monday, June 30, 2008

Mix it up Monday: Vegan Brownies

Whoo, it is hard to get back on schedule after being gone for a week. Hollis and I went to the park today with our friends and then to McDonald's for lunch. After that I pretty much spent the afternoon wandering around trying to figure out what I should be doing. We had a great time in New York and I have lots of pictures and stories to share, but first, let's talk about what we are baking today.

This afternoon I baked these brownies for our neighbor. She was kind enough to check our mail while we gone. Judging from the volume, I am pretty sure our mailman would have just thrown it down in disgust otherwise. So these were our thank you. She is a vegan, so that is why I choose this recipe. It could easily be a non-vegan recipe by switching out the vegan chocolate chips for regular chips. However, the non-dairy, gluten free vegan chips have about 30 fewer calories than the regular chips. The chips taste similar to regular chips with a slightly more dark chocolate flavor. The brownies were judged "ehh, medium", by my meat eating family. If you are interested in trying out a healthier brownie option, try these and let me know what you think.

**Stay tuned...next week a recipe NOT from Recipezaar!

No comments: